Monday, April 8, 2013

Most Anticipated Movie of the Year!: Man of Steel

                I remember when I first saw Superman the Movie, the one made in 1978 directed by Richard Donner. I remember the sense of wonderment I felt when watching that film. I had been a moderate fan of the comics for a little while, especially the older ones. When I saw that film the comic world I had been reading seemed to come to life and I remember not wanting the film to end. Unfortunately despite my best efforts I did not feel that way about Superman Returns.

                Ever since that very expensive film that for all intensive purposes flopped it has seemed as if that first Superman film might be the best film. I’m hoping that all that will change this summer. Most critics would not tell you that their most anticipated movie of the year was a superhero film but I’m not most critics and I also happen to really like good comic book films. This film seems to have the makings of one.
The cast looks excellent with the likes of Russell Crowe and Kevin Cosner. This in many ways reminds me of that first film which had Marlon Brando and Gene Hackman. Henry Cavil looks like he can play the part and like Christopher Reeve before him he’s not a huge name. The crew behind the film is almost more impressive. Although I’m not the biggest Zack Snyder fan he does have his own sense of style and Christopher Nolan and David Goyer working on the story. They were the ones who made the greatest comic book films of all time, The Dark Knight Trilogy. Christopher Nolan is also producing which gives me a lot of confidence in the project. Hans Zimmer is doing the music which he says will be “very different” from the original iconic theme by John Williams.
                Not only is the crew exciting but everything that I’ve been hearing about this film seems good. Certainly much of this is probably paid hype but I get the sense that the people working on this film genuinely believe in the direction its going. I also feel that if anyone can make Superman relevant today it will be this cast and crew. Early screenings for Executives were said to have received rave reviews. Some even saying it might be the “best movie of the year”  take that with a major grain of salt but it is still good to see all of the positive buzz.
                I think David Goyer put it best when he stated in an interview that “the world needs a Superman movie now more how more than ever” I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. It is a difficult task to bring the classic superhero into relevance today but if anybody could do it, it would be this crew. If they meet the challenge and overcome it Man of Steel might be “movie of the year” material. I sincerely am just hoping that it can rekindle that magic I felt when watching the original. Because of this Man of Steel is my most anticipated movie of 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment