Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Iron Man 3 Preview

On May 2nd The Summer movie season begins with Marvel Studio's Iron Man 3. Besides this being the first Marvel film actually released by Walt Disney Pictures the film is also a first in that it begins Marvel's Phase 2. Phase 1 ended last may with the release of the Avengers and Phase 2 will include Iron Man 3, Thor the Dark World, and Captain America Winter Soldier as well as the Avengers 2. Dark World is due out later this year and a trailer has already been released and Winter soldier is due out next spring. This preview is to help prepare viewers for this third Iron Man installment by taking a look at the history of Avengers Phase 1.

Phase 1 began back in 2008 with the release of the Original Iron Man. I personally loved that film and felt both Downey Jr's performance and the overall storyline really breathed new life into the superhero movie. More than anything else Iron Man was fun to watch. It had a great cast and was quite funny at points and as of this date I still feel it is the best of the Avengers Movies. I highly suggest watching Iron Man if you have not already. Only 2 years later came Iron Man 2 and this film left me much less enthusiastic. It did not feel like it was of the quality of the first and although the special effects and new characters like the Black Widow were cool in the end it just felt rushed. The film also just felt too light to the point of being a joke fest and the plot was only a shadow of the former film. I think that Iron Man 2 almost soured me on the possibility of any more Iron Man and I just felt tired of it. Thor came next and that film was really fun when I first saw it but after the first viewing it just seemed less and less fun. Parts of Thor were really very awesome and the film was better than Iron Man 2 but it lacked something that it needed to hold its plot together and I just can't pinpoint what that would be. After Thor was quite a different film and that was Captain America. This film I found to be quite fun, mainly because I like old fashioned stuff like that and although I think it was robbed of an ending I still enjoyed Captain America more than both Thor and Iron Man 2.

Then Came the avengers. This movie was so highly anticipated that I almost felt there was no way it could be very good. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the film in fact was good and I think the key ingredient was the revival of the Iron Man character. Downey Jr. had seemed overcharged in IM2 but now in Avengers he gave a performance worthy of the first Iron Man. The cast for Avengers was pretty good as a whole and when the heroes are together it is like lightning in a bottle. Unfortunately I don't like avengers as much as most people do. I loved most of it but the final battle which should have been the coolest part instead felt drawn out to me. Still Avengers would have to be tied with Iron Man 1 as far as quality is concerned and both films represent great films of their genre.

Overall Based on positive reviews and early buzz I am excited to kick this season off with Iron Man 3. We'll have to see how it holds up to other Marvel fare soon. Check back here for the Review this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment